Re: Is reiserfs not supported in squeeze d-i?

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting Liu Yubao (yubao.liu@gmail.com):
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found d-i in 2010-08-09 weekly build[1] couldn't create reiserfs fs
>> or use my reiserfs fs
>> as some mount point in partition step.
>>
>> Is reiserfs not supported any more in squeeze installer? I think it's
>> better squeeze installer
>> still supports it but gives a warning saying reiserfs is deprecated,
>> reiserfs support can be
>> dropped entirely in next Debian release.
>

> The needed udeb, namely partman-reiserfs, is now
> priority extra so you need to manually load it in expert mode before
> being able to create a partition with a reiserfs file system on it.

Thanks for your remind!

I know many people here use reiserfs because of its high performance
on small files,
we have many legacy reiserfs file systems, so I think it's not user
friendly to put partman-reiserfs into
priority extra, it's better to only mark reiserfs deprecated in list
of fs formats and drop it in next Debian
release.

I just checked the installation manual [1], it does refer to this
problem, but I guess many
people won't read the *new* manual at all :-(

[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/ch06s03.html.en#di-partition