Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

On Mon, 24 May 2010 13:01:30 -0400 (EDT), Edward Allcutt wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2010, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> To the best of my knowledge, lilo is the *only* bootloader which supports
>> setting an initial text video mode *and* does not use any sectors outside
>> the master boot record and outside of a partition.  If I'm wrong about
>> that, someone please correct me.
>
> grub2 supports loading its core.img from a dedicated partition instead
> of embedding it in the first "cylinder". This does require switching to
> the GPT partitioning scheme which may or may not be acceptable to you.

No, the backup software assumes the traditional MS-DOS hard disk partitioning
scheme.  One can get around this by requiring an image backup, but that
has three substantial drawbacks: (1) The entire disk, including free space
and extended partition free space, must be backed up.  This takes a lot
more time.  (2) A restore can only be done to a disk of the exact same
size as the one backed up.  Often, a larger disk must be used because the
model that failed is no longer available on the market.  (3) The need
for special backup requirements will be used by the opponents of Linux at
my place of employment to oppose further deployments of Linux, which I wish
to avoid at all costs.  But thanks for the info anyway.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :