Re: Failed to install GRUB on Adaptec controller

The error is below:

I´m trying to install Debian on my server.

Some hardware descriptions:
- Inel Xeon processor
- 03:01.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec (formerly DPT) SmartRAID V  Controller (rev 01)

There is configured by hardware one RAID 5 on four scsi disks of 73GB.

I tryed with Lenny and Squeeze versions and both presented the same error when the install try to install grub:

main-menu[1250]: INFO: Falling back to the package description for auto-install
main-menu[1250]: INFO: Falling back to the package description for ai-choosers
main-menu[1250]: INFO: Menu item 'grub-installer' selected
grub-installer: info: architecture: i386/generic
main-menu[1250]: WARNING **: Configuring 'grub-installer' failed with error code 1
main-menu[1250]: WARNING **: Menu item 'grub-installer' failed.

The disk partitioner find the array on /dev/i2o/hdax depending of my partition table, I guess that my array should be
on /dev/sdax, my partition table is below:

/boot - primary partition 200MB (ext3) - flag boot on
LVM´s
/        - lvm  30GB (ext3)
/var/log - lvm  20GB (ext3)
/var     - lvm 150GB (ext3)
swap     - lvm   2GB (linux swap)

This problem is in the kernel that don´t load by default i2o drivers?

PS: I installed Ubuntu Server 9.10 and it work fine, the grub was installed with no problems.

Question: There is a bug with Debian installer when work with Adaptec controllers? I´m looking for solutions but
I not found one yet.

Thanks for attention,

Cristian