Re: parted unblock, and upcoming transition
- To: email@example.com, Philippe Coval <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Debian Install System Team <email@example.com>, Debian KDE Extras Team <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Debian Libvirt Maintainers <email@example.com>, Debian Python Modules Team <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Debian QA Group <email@example.com>, Parted Maintainer Team <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Anibal Monsalve Salazar <email@example.com>, Utopia Maintenance Team <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: parted unblock, and upcoming transition
- From: Luk Claes <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:29:37 +0100
- Message-id: <[🔎] 4B9BD991.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <[🔎] 20100311122242.GB23806@riva.ucam.org>
- References: <[🔎] 20100311122242.GB23806@riva.ucam.org>
Colin Watson wrote:
> Could parted 1.8.8.git.2009.07.19-6 be unblocked, please? It's needed
> to smooth the path for parted 2.2 in the near future.
> Speaking of which, I would like to upload parted 2.2 to unstable (it's
> currently in experimental) once 1.8.8.git.2009.07.19-6 reaches testing.
> The reason to try to get this into squeeze is that without it we won't
> properly support "Advanced Format" (i.e. >512-byte logical sectors) hard
> drives, which are becoming increasingly common. There is an ABI
> transition involved, among the following source packages (maintainers
> I believe that all of these are trivial matters of changing
> build-dependencies, with the exception of fatresize which needs a fix to
> its configure script as well (already done upstream); some of these
> packages already had appropriate or nearly-appropriate versions in
> experimental, last I checked.
> We might want to let devicekit-disks/udisks get into testing first, but
> after that's done, would it be convenient to the release team and to the
> other maintainers CCed here to start this transition? I can supervise
> it, upload the d-i parts and the QA-maintained qtparted directly, and
> file bugs with patches as necessary for the others.
Please do hold your upload for now. We'll come back to you when the
moment is right.