Re: [RFC] Degrading reiserfs to optional filesystem?

Quoting Christian PERRIER (bubulle@debian.org):

> This is only personal opinion, but I found out that it's quite some
> time since I abandoned reiserfs in favor of mostly xfs on various
> servers at work....and my own personal machines.
>
> So, I tend to agree with you that it could be moved to be optional.

I had a very brief talk on IRC with Josselin Mouette (actually, not a
real talk: a few sentences spread out over the entire Sunday on
#debian-devel-fr).

Joss objected something like "what are you guys proposing as
alternatives to reiserfs for laptops. Ext4?"

His rationale was that ext3 is annoying with its extra-long fsck
operations and xfs is too sensitive to brutal power failures.

My only objection to this is my personal experience with XFS (which is
a little bit small). I personnally never experienced problems with
brutal power outages, even though I recently had numerous occasions to
try this (X "hanging" while I was off network, with power on/off as
only option).

So, well, I answered Joss that, yes, ext4 will be available in D-I as
an option so that might answer his concerns. But, still, I felt the
duty to mention his concerns.

Josselin CC'ed as he's not subscribed to -boot.