Re: 32-bit install kernel sleeps off during installation

On Thursday 28 January 2010, Rainer Koenig wrote:
> Would be nice to figure out the "why" behind this problem. My guess at
> the moment is that it is related to
> a) the CPU which is a new AMD dual core athlon
> b) the 2.6.26-2-486 kernel that is used during the installation
>
> So I think there is a sort of "incompatibilty" on new Athlon processors
> and the -486 kernel from Debian.

The problem you describe indeed sounds like a kernel problem.

The first thing I would suggest to do is try if the Squeeze installer [1]
(which currently uses a 2.6.30 kernel) still has the same problem.

> Question is: Is there a easy (means debian like and good documented) way
> to build a netboot image with a different kernel architecture. From my
> understanding this would mean replacing both the kernel image as well as
> all the modules that are provided from the initrd.gz image.

You're in luck as the 686 kernel is already available as udebs.

The steps are roughly as follows:
- check out the lenny branch of the D-I source repository:
  svn co svn://svn.debian.org/svn/d-i/branches/d-i/lenny/installer
- cd installer/build
- edit config/i386.cfg and change -486 to -686 in KERNELVERSION
- install build dependencies
- build a netboot image using:
     make reallyclean; fakeroot make build_netboot
- use either the netboot image itself, or the mini.iso

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/