Re: Question about having an always clean base system in Debian Sid

On Wednesday 27 January 2010, Geek87 wrote:
> I also would like to have it working similarly for the tasks: for
> example if I have a task "Mail server" installed depending on Sendmail
> and that the new version of this task now depends on Postfix, I would
> like Sendmail to be automatically removed and Postfix to be
> automatically installed. The technique above doesn't work for the tasks.

I don't think that's possible as the package management system does not
keep any state information about which tasks are installed.

You have to see tasks and tasksel as an optional convenience feature, not
as something that's a part of the core package management (unlike for
example meta packages).

Cheers,
FJP