Re: install -- netboot vs netinst vs businesscard Debian installer CDs

On Jan 1, 2010, at 8:44 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:

On 2010-01-01 at 13:51:59 -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
Here's a datapoint...

Today I did the same for the PowerPC version of the netboot/mini.iso
(13 MB) and used it to install squeeze on my testing PowerMac G4.
Worked a treat.

And what's really cool is that the businesscard and netinst CD's
didn't work!  They boot OK, but get seg-faults as soon as the
installer tries to start up.

Go figure!

If you used the "production" version of the Squeeze installer you
were actually using the Lenny installer, since there has not been
an upload of the new Debian Installer code since Lenny became the
stable release.  For example, in the Debian archive,

dists/squeeze/main/installer-powerpc/current

is a symbolic link to

dists/lenny/main/installer-powerpc/current

I'm glad you found something that worked, but at this moment the
only versions of the Debian Installer that are approved for installing
Squeeze are the "daily builds" on the development pages for
Debian Installer.

I'm pretty sure it was not the lenny installer. I installed in "expert" mode and it offered a menu to let me install stable, testing, or unstable. This is something that the lenny installer doesn't do, if I'm not mistaken.

In any case, I got the iso from this URL:

  http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/installer-powerpc/current/images/powerpc/netboot/

And the particular iso I downloaded was:

Index of /debian/dists/sid/main/installer-powerpc/current/images/ powerpc/netboot
  [ ]	mini.iso	17-Dec-2009 05:34 	13M
  Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) Server at http.us.debian.org Port 80

I don't know why the date is 17-Dec-2009, not something more recent.
Maybe that's why it worked?  More recent ones are broken?

I'm fairly sure it ran the Sid d-i. It's behavior was identical to the behavior
of the "businesscard" install CD from this URL:
  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/sid_d-i/arch-latest/powerpc/iso-cd/
when the businesscard install works (which it doesn't, right now...)

I'm CC-ing debain-boot, Maybe somebody there knows what's actually going on here...

Enjoy!

Rick