Re: Debian-installer use of initrd (was Re: CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y)

* Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> [2009-09-10 01:22]:
> > > Why? The /dev/ram* devices are not needed anymore for the early boot
> > > with 2.6 kernels, unless there is something fundamental I am missing
> > > this driver should become modular.
> > Apparently it used to be needed by debian-installer, but that doesn't
> > seem to be the case any more.  If it's not, I'll change it to a module.
>
> Given the lack of response, I'm assuming this is OK to change.

mips still uses an initrd for d-i but it sets CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
explicitly in the mips config, so that's fine.

I noticed that some i386 floppy images use ext2, but I've no idea
how the floppy images work.

i386/floppy/net-drivers-1.cfg:INITRD_FS=ext2
i386/floppy/net-drivers-3.cfg:INITRD_FS = ext2
i386/floppy/cd-drivers.cfg:INITRD_FS=ext2
i386/floppy/net-drivers-2.cfg:INITRD_FS = ext2

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/