Re: no sound on powermac3,3 (powerbook g4 550) debian502 gnome

Just for the record, I'm including here people from debian-boot, so that
this extra piece of information gets somehow included in future versions
of d-i (if it is not incorporated already).

On Sep 07 2009, sergio sevillano wrote:
> Rogério Brito escribió:
> >See if it works and reportback. If that doesn't work, then (also as root):
> >
> >,----
> >| echo snd-powermac >> /etc/modules
> >| shutdown -r now
> >`----
> >
> >(This will reboot your notebook)
> >
> i did,
> now it works.
> both volume control and play a .wav file with VLC player in Gnome

Nice, great. Really great that it worked. I'm leaving most of our
discussion here for reference of people at other mailing lists.

> $ cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16.
> $ cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [Tumbler        ]: PMac Tumbler - PowerMac Tumbler
>                      PowerMac Tumbler (Dev 18) Sub-frame 0
> $ lsmod | grep snd
> snd_powermac           47936  1
> snd_aoa_i2sbus         22820  0
> snd_pcm_oss            45248  0
> snd_mixer_oss          19328  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                79812  3 snd_powermac,snd_aoa_i2sbus,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer              25508  1 snd_pcm
> snd_page_alloc         12392  1 snd_pcm
> snd                    61908  8 snd_powermac,snd_aoa_i2sbus,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> soundcore              10244  1 snd
> snd_aoa_soundbus        9060  1 snd_aoa_i2sbus
> $
>
> this last report seems exactly the same as before.

Right, but now the snd-powermac driver is what is being used instead of
the snd-aoa* driver.

Perhaps BenH (one of the principal developers of Linux on PowerPC) could
shed some comments here with the final word so that we can settle this
snd-aoa vs. snd-powermac for the time being.

> >If one of the above works, then it will be one point more for the
> >installer not to install the snd_aoa* drivers by default.
>
> thanks.
> i dont know if i will understand if you tell me
> the meaning of the commands we have used...
> or at least the aim of them.

Basically, I just told you to load one driver for the sound card that
was more likely to work with your hardware (which is more or less
similar to mine) than the driver that was being loaded by default.

> ill try to find out on manuals.

To learn a little bit more about what I told you to perform, you can
read the following manuals:

,----
| man modprobe
| man rmmod
| man insmod
| man lsmod
| man 5 modules
| man shutdown
`----

(You should have the man-db and manpages packages).

> you want any other report?

No, thanks. That's fine for now (unless you have another problem).

Regards, Rogério Brito.