Re: How to detect Debian systems w/o root passwd ?

On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 06:11:53PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Bill Allombert (Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr):
> > Dear Debian boot,
> >
> > It is now possible to set up Debian system without a root password.
> > On such system sudo must be used instead of su.
> > What is the canonical way to detect such situation ?
> >
> > My purpose is to change su-to-root to automatically default to sudo mode
> > on such system.
>

> CC'ing you , assuming you're not subscribed.

Thanks for your answer, especially since you maintain shadow.

> I'd say that reading the value of passwd/root-login debconf template
> is the safest way. If you get "false", then the system is a sudo-only system.

I assume the code below should work ?
debconf-show passwd 2>/dev/null |grep -q 'root-login: false'

> Of course, that will tell you what you need only when the rootless
> system has been installed by choosing the appropriate option in D-I.

Is it possible to get this information from PAM instead?

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.