Re: [RFC] IMPORTANT: Cleaning l10n-sync damage from D-I SVN repository

On Wednesday 03 June 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> As you may remember we had a problem before the release of Lenny with
> the l10n-sync script running wild and creating an insanely large Danish
> PO file for sublevel 4.
> This was eventually corrected, but the commits increasing the size of
> that da.po master file to eventually 250MB (and the same again spread
> out the da.po files for several individual packages) are still there.
>
> These commits waste space on alioth and will also continue to cause
> problems, for example when people create a git-svn checkout [1].

I have done extensive testing and checks and am convinced there are no
remaining issues with the cleanup method.

Unless there are strong objections I intend to perform the cleanup soon.
I'll of course announce the date in advance; the repository will be
unavailable for some time for commits, but I expect that will be less
than 4 hours.

The result of the final cleanup method will be:
- SVN database will shrink, but only a small part is a result of the
  cleanup itself; mostly it is because the dump/load gets rid of cruft
  from old SVN versions;
- the cleanup will remove only broken l10n-sync commits and one
  incomplete early cleanup commit; no changes by users are lost or
  changed;
- the cause of the l10n-sync failure (broken PO file headers) is not
  removed, only the consequences (file corruption and extreme growth);
- these consequences are removed completely: after the cleanup the
  affected da.po files are all "clean", except for the broken headers;
- tagged versions from uploads of affected packages remain identical
  to what was uploaded to the archive because (as part of the cleanup)
  the corruption at the time of the upload is made part of the tag.

The main advantages of the cleanup are:
- a cleaner and more useful revision history for the affected files and
  packages;
- reduced risk of issues during future uses of the repository, such as
  git-svn checkouts, revision analysis, repository backup, possible
  repository conversion.

Cheers,
FJP