Re: [RFC] Packages that looks ready for uploading

talking to myself again...

> Luk Claes wrote...
> > Feel free to test with the version in proposed-updates to really make
> > sure it's fixed.
>
> I'm not completely sure how to do this. From what I can gather from [1]
> I need to build my own installer image, which I'll have a go at.
> I initially thought would be able to just "patch in" the updated
> choose-mirror, but this appears to require building a CD [2].
> Am I on the right track here?

I was able to build a netboot image as per [1].
For anyone who might later care, the steps were:

 find/build a machine running lenny.

 svn co svn://svn.debian.org/svn/d-i/branches/d-i/lenny \
    debian-installer-lenny

 cd debian-installer-lenny/installer
 apt-get build-dep debian-installer # installs a pile of packages
 dpkg-checkbuilddeps                # should return nothing

 cd build
 grep DEBIAN_RELEASE config/common  # set to 'lenny'
 grep USE_UDEBS_FROM config/common  # ditto

 # this step is critical
 cp sources.list.udeb sources.list.udeb.local
 echo "deb http://apt-proxy:9999/debian lenny-proposed-updates main/debian-installer" \

 echo "deb-src http://apt-proxy:9999/debian lenny-proposed-updates main" \
   >> /etc/apt/sources.list
 apt-get update

 make reallyclean
 make build_netboot

This produced a tree in dest/ that could copy into the TFTP server tree.
 grep choose-mirror dest/MANIFEST.udebs
showed version 2.28lenny3. yay.

Without the sources.list.udeb.local file I kept getting version
2.28lenny1. So it appears the fixed version Otavio uploaded did not
make it into 5.0.1?

Anyway I was able to install 'etch' with this build of the installer.
Thanks for your work, folks. Looking forward to the point release.

Cheers
Vince

[1] wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Build