Re: [gsoc2009] debian-installer on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

On 11/03/2009, Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 11:57:22PM +0100, Luca Favatella wrote:
[...]
> Note that we already have Ging, a Live CD running GNU/kFreeBSD [1]. It
> is clearly outdated, but it shows how to boot from a CD-ROM, and use a
> ramdisk that allow copy-on with the CD filesystem.

Ok.

> It may be a good idea to start porting Debian Live, that would make at
> least a first step to reach. This is always good for projects with time
> constraints, so that you have at least something to show at the end.
> Then the boot process can be implemented the same way in
> debian-installer.

Can you please suggest me what to study first?
debootstrap?
debian-installer?
ging?
debian-live?

>> Is there someone wanting to mentor me?
>
> I won't have a lot of time, but Colin Watson offered on IRC to share a
> bit the load. I guess this mailing list is also a good way to have
> technical hints.
>
> So in short the answer is yes. I'll make the necessary so that it can be
> propose as a GSoC project.

Thanks.

> Best regards,
> Aurelien

Luca Favatella

P.S.
I tried debootstrap on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD i386. I executed:
debootstrap sid . http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian
It doesn't work saying:
W: Failure trying to run: chroot /home/user/[...]/debootstrap/. mount
-t devfs devfs /dev
I discovered that "mount" is in the package "freebsd-utils", and it is
not selected by debootstrap. I tried
debootstrap --include=freebsd-utils sid . http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian
It doesn't work saying:
I: Checking component main on http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian...
E: Couldn't find these debs: freebsd-utils

Con you please suggest me what to do to make debootstrap working?