Re: [gsoc2009] debian-installer on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

Luca Favatella dijo [Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 11:57:22PM +0100]:
> (I don't know if I have to cc other Debian mailing lists)

Probably debian-boot would be the one - I am adding a Cc: to this
mail, and quoting it fully. Debian-boot is [1] for «Developing the
installation system - Discussion and maintenance of the Debian
installation system»

> I would like to partecipate as a student in Google Summer of Code 2009.
>
> I'm interested in working on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD.
>
> I propose the project "Porting debian-installer on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD".
> I'm not able to complete this task alone.
> I need someone splitting this task in smaller subtasks to complete.
>
> Do you think this project is a good idea?
> Is there someone wanting to mentor me?

Please note I'm mostly a mildly-informed-newbie, both in FreeBSD and
in d-i topics. Still, I've played with both. Your goal is very
interesting and I can only hope for you to pursue and succeed in it -
And do it in a generic way, which would allow for easily adapting to
any other kernel.

Still, from what I have seen, d-i uses throughout the system many
Linux-specific constructs (I'm mostly looking at udev), and many d-i
components assume Linux structures (i.e. setting up partitions with
LVM, using GRUB or LILO as the bootloader, the supported filesystems,
etc.)

Still, if you are willing to dive deep into it... I know it will help
greatly our project's support for other OSs. I don't think it's
probable that -at least in early stages- you will get commit access to
the d-i repository, and you won't want to be stuck in an old version
(but that's easily fixable by many techniques). In any case, I cannot
mentor you, but if you want somebody cheering along, count me in :)

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23