Re: [RFC] Debian Installer related scripts suitable for moving

Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> writes:

> * Otavio Salvador [Mon, 02 Mar 2009 20:10:34 -0300]:
>
>> Hello,
>
> Hi,
>
>> RM people has get in touch with me asking for which script we consider
>> suitable for moving into release.debian.org.
>
> I'll note that our goal was/is to do whatever is needed to make your
> situation better in this regard. I think it was you who suggested this
> move would make things better for you, that's why I brought it back.

We were at that time talking about the testing package status not being
up to date and then we considered it was more logical to move it to a
more appropriated place. IIRC this was the basis of our talking at that
moment.

> Just clarifying this is not a "Release Team must do it all!" move.

Sure. We're not considering it this way.

> Christian writes:
>
>> Still, having it run under a developer account is a small weakness
>
> So, another option would be for d-i to have its own role account,
> accessible for d-i RMs and other selected people, and that way you can
> be in charge of maintaining your own scripts.

I belive it works for us.

> Now, two things:
>
>> It was make clear to RM team that we need to be able to fix the scripts
>> by ourselfs and I belive that it shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Well, if the scripts are going to be run on ftp-master under the
> "release" role account, I don't think it's possible to grant you direct
> modification access *to the code*. So, in this regard, this indeed adds
> a further level of indirection, and if what you want is to be able to
> commit to the VCS and have the next run pick up that code without human
> intervention, maybe you should consider the d-i role acount route.
>
> OTOH, for scripts that obtain data from the archive, I can easily
> provide the initial code attacking the projectb database (rather than
> the mirror), and the code is public, and patches should be fairly fast
> to integrate.
>
> Additionally, if there are scripts that work against a static list of
> packages (rather than, say, a dynamic list like "all packages providing
> udebs"), then *that static list* can be fetched from the d-i SVN repo,
> for example, which should account for most of the updates needed, once
> the code is stable.
>
> So, really, please think it over, talk with us about which are your
> goals and constraints, and we try to figure out what works best for
> everybody, okay?

Personally I belive that, after a small period of fixing, those scripts
should ramain mostly unmodified for long time. I don't think we'd need
to be able to push changes "for next run".

Most of things will appear as soon as we do the switch and then we'll be
in touch to fix the remaning issues and getting it in a stable code. After
that, I do belive we can use RM people as a proxy for getting things fixed.

Even more due our nice collaboration we've been doing during Lenny and this
new development cycle.

>> The only ones that come to my head are:
>
>>  1. testing summary (http://merkel.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/testing-summary.html)
>>  2. building summary (http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/build-logs.html)
>
> There is also http://ftp-master.debian.org/d-i. Which has a planned
> revamp for ourselves, and I will move it to release.d.o at the same
> time.

Yes but this output could be merged into the testing-summary.

> And, regarding #1 above, I confirm what I said on IRC: I am not able to
> maintain that, plus it doesn't work against the projectb database, so
> I'd rewrite it into something I can maintain: python + SQL + html
> templates.

I have no objection on that. I'm used to Python and SQL and can help fixing
things if required.

> So, I'll wait to hear from you regarding all of the above. I'll repeat
> that our goal is to make things better for you, and that you have to
> help us figure out what that entails.

Sure. Before you start working on the scripts, give some time for people
to comment.

Cheers,

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R