Re: Unable to install Lenny

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:02:52PM -0300, Khristian Alexander Schönrock wrote:
> I'm trying to install lenny on my machine (tried both amd64 and i386),
> but the installer won't recognize the partitions on my HD. I tried to
> boot with the rescue option, and found out that it does find the
> partitions, but for some reason doesn't show it on the selection screen
> (it simply shows my disk as 250GB of unpartitioned space).

This suggests that the kernel recognised your partition table, but that
libparted failed to do so. Could you file a bug on the parted package
repeating your description of the problem and including the output of
the following command, run as root, which will give us a hex dump of
your boot sector including the partition table:

  od -Ax -tx1 -N512 /dev/sda

Replace "/dev/sda" with the device name of your disk (might be /dev/hda
instead). I'm assuming that you can get some Unix-based operating system
up far enough to run the above.

> Going through the log messages of the installer, I've found an
> interesting line:
> "main-menu[1441]: INFO: menu item 'partman-base' succeeded but requested
> to be left uncofigured"

That just means "failed".

> I don't if this has anything to do with the problem, but after some
> fiddling with the command-line I've found that partmap does know there
> are partitions on the disk, and partman crashes if ran after running
> part*_server (can't remember the whole command now :/ ).

partmap just tells you the type of the partition table, not whether it
could understand its contents. partman is not meant to be runnable from
the command line.

Regards,