Re: 40r6 locks up during boot

Ian Campbell wrote:
On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 11:04 +0900, John wrote:
John wrote:
Frans Pop wrote:
Ah, so. It's the DVD image.

It's different, but not satisfactory.

I'm copying by hand atm, I'll look at a serial cable (I think I can do that) later, so I will give a bare minimum for the moment.

Security framework initialized
SELinux diasbled at boot
Capability LSM initialized
Initializing xgroup subsys ns
                            cpuacct
                            devices
CPU: L1 cache 64K etc
CPU: L2 cache 512K etc
CPU: Amd Athlon (tm) Dual Core Processor 4450B stepping 02
checking HLT instruction ... ok
general protection fault: 3edc [#1]
Modules linked in:

Pid 0, comm: swapper Not tainted (2.6.26-1-486 #1)
EIP 0060:[<c03633f0d>] EFLAGS 00000286 CPU: 0
EIP is at 0xc0363f0d

I will leave off now, lots of hex numbers which I'm likely to mistranscribe.

It ends with kernel panic - not syncing -: Attempted to kill the idle task!

Oh, the top item on the call trace:
[<c0107a71>] apply_paravirt+0x81/0x91.

Hmm, this suggests that adding "noreplace-paravirt" to your command line
might help.

It'd be interesting to see all the hex numbers once you've got serial
connected up though, especially since the crashing EIP is at 0xc03xxxxxx
which implies it is in a module.
I vaguely recall some traffic on LKML about dynamic patching of stuff in
modules, need to try and remember more to dig it out.

and it's called from vgacon_set_cursor_size.

Called from? Did you see this address on the stack? It might be that it
is attempting to replace some code in this function so it appears on the
stack spuriously.

Ian.

Thanks for your help, Frans and Ian. I was at the beginning of a serious deadline period. I made the deadline with just hours to spare, and there were no disasters.

I worked around it by installing virtualbox and Lenny. Lenny does what I need adequately, and I don't expect to revisit this.

For the record, it's an HP DC5850 (I mistyped the model number), the AMD CPU does support virtualisation, it is turned off in the BIOS but can be turned on. To my surprise, it's listed under "security features."

--

Cheers
John Summerfield.