Re: Revert r56948? (console-setup: fix keymap reduction)

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 08:43:35PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > I tested this.  With the new xkb data files the change in size is
> > insignificant - for the standard pc keyboards before r56948 it was 94K
> > and after r56948 it is 96K.
>
> Indeed; the difference should be roughly linear in the number of keymaps
> with different sets of mapped keys, which is small.

Now I see.  I misunderstood what exactly your patch did.  I reverted my
revert and restored r56948.

> > > I think r56948 makes only the following improvement:
> >
> > Actualy it seems at present r56948 makes no improvement.
>
> At the time, it definitely fixed
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/console-setup/+bug/74375.

Now I see why for the keymap detection mechanism of Ubuntu it was
important that no keymap defined keys that were not present in the
original keymap.  Since the 'us' keymap is a subset of the 'jp' keymap
my reduction procedure made 'us' and 'jp' to be equivalent.  This was
not a problem for the Americans because nobody would object that the
'us' keymap defined keys that did not exist on US keyboards.  However,
this indeed can be problem for the keyboard detection program of Ubuntu.

> I have to admit that I'm not sure I can follow what effect that will
> have? Maybe I need more coffee ...

It was my mistake.

Anton Zinoviev