Re: Revert r56948? (console-setup: fix keymap reduction)

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 07:44:59PM +0200, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> I would like to revert r56948 unless there is something I don't see. As
> far as I can remember this change increases the size of the precompiled
> keymaps by many times.  The precompiled keymaps will be used by udebs on
> the boot media of d-i, so they have to take as little space as possible.

As you note, this is not in fact the case.

> I think r56948 makes only the following improvement: Suppose a keyboard
> layout doesn't define the behaviour of some of the keys on the keyboard.
> For example the US layout doesn't define the behavour of one extra key
> that exists on the Brazilian ABNT2 keyboards.  Then suppose the user has
> attached to the computer a Brazilian keyboard but selects US layout in
> the installer. In this case before r56948 the extra key of the Brazilian
> keyboard with US QWERTY layout generated some more or less random
> symbols.  After r56948 this key has undefined behaviour (for d-i this
> means the key produces no symbols).  The effect is similar when the user
> has Japanese keyboard and non-Japanese layout.  I think r56948 does
> nothing when the keyboard is not Brazilian or Japanese (the US keyboards
> do not have LSGT key that exists on Western European keyboards but
> nevertheless the US layout defines behaviour for this key so r56948 does
> nothing in this case).

Here's the original bug report for this change:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/console-setup/+bug/74375

Obviously this is only a serious issue if you're using the keymap
detection widget implemented in Ubuntu, but still - is it not an
improvement? I think the logic is sound.