Thecus n2100, d-i and #561309

The Thecus n2100 uses r8169 for ethernet.
Per #561309, in 2.6.32, that module requests two firmware files
(that are not packaged and are nonfree anyway), even when they are not
needed by the actual hardware. (The n2100 doesn't need them.)

In d-i, check-missing-firmware is run by ethdetect and will notice the
kernel has requested these two files and failed to get them. It will
then display a debconf note about the problem. This note will block
d-i getting onto the network, which on this typically console-less
system, is the only way a user can see it and continue with the
installation. Oops!

I have not verified this since my thecus is too important a server to
take down to test it. Maybe tbm could?

If I've predicted this problem accuratly, I wonder if the r8169 module
should/could be changed to request the firmware files only on hardware
that needs them?

A few workarounds could be done on the d-i side. We could skip the
blocking note display if the only missing files are those two. Or the
note could be disabled from being shown before the network is configured
(by preseeding or other method) on systems using network-console.

--
see shy jo