FTBFS of netcfg on s390 after debhelper v7 conversion

I've just tried building netcfg on s390, but that fails with:
    dpkg-gencontrol: error: current host architecture 's390' does not
    appear in package's architecture list (i386 sparc alpha m68k arm
    armel armeb powerpc mips mipsel hppa ia64 amd64 lpia kfreebsd-i386
    kfreebsd-amd64)
    dh_gencontrol: dpkg-gencontrol returned exit code 255

AFAICT the reason is that the binary netcfg is !s390 (while netcfg-static
is arch any).

Before the conversion to debhelper v7, we called most dh_command with
the '-s' option. If I add an overrides in d/rules for dh_gencontrol *and*
dh_builddeb to pass the -s option, netcfg builds correctly again.

I wonder why this is needed? Shouldn't this "just work"?

Is there a better solution than adding the overrides?
Maybe 'dh -s $@', but I'd expect that will cause an error where we copy
templates in override_dh_installdebconf...

I also wonder if other converted packages could have the same issue.

Cheers,
FJP