We discussed switching to git at DebConf, and came up with a compromise plan that seemed reasonable to all in attendance: Split each d-i package into its own git repository, but leave the manual and packages/po in svn. Investigate using submodules and/or mr to tie the git repositories together. Since then, I've been working on a sample conversion to git, using the svn-all-fast-export tool that was used to split up the KDE and Gnome projects' svn repositories. I finally have a good quality conversion. Max has been quality checking my attempts, and has verified that in this conversion: * Every git tag contains an identical tree to the one that was originally tagged in svn. * The current version of each package in git is identical to the current version in svn. So the purpose of this mail is to give it some wider exposure and explain a few of the choices and tradeoffs made in creating it. Note that since this is a sample, it might be deleted/changed at any time; don't try to commit to it or use it for real work. To browse or clone individual repositories, see <http://hydra.kitenet.net/~d-i/git/> To check out a complete tree, which should be identical to the current tree except for using git for most things: svn checkout svn://svn.debian.org/d-i/people/joeyh/gitdemo cd gitdemo mr -p checkout To test how slow updating every repository would be, compared to svn up, running 8 updates in parallel: mr -j8 -p update ---- In creating this I had to deal with lots of package renames, etc in the svn history. Mostly these can be handled well; for example base-config-prep was later renamed to sarge-support, and so the sarge-support.git repository contains the old base-config-prep history as well. In a few cases, I instead used branches to store ancestors of current stuff. For example, localechooser has branches for countrychooser and languagechooser, which led directly to it; flash-kernel has branches for glantank and nslu2-firmware-installer, which were both parents of it; libdebian-installer has a libd-i branch for the old version before it was renamed; and debian-installer has an old-docs branch that holds various documentation that was scattered around the svn tree historically. Some old stuff that didn't really lead to anything current was still separated out into its own git repositories, in the attic subdirectory, <http://hydra.kitenet.net/~d-i/git/attic/> ---- My todo and errata list is as follows: convert svn:ignore props into .gitignore files. (Will need to be done manually after conversion probably) Remove $Id$ keywords from all files that have them; git doesn't support that. (Do after conversion) Currently I skip part of r59949, the creation of a debian/install file. I had to skip it for reasons beyond my comprehension, but the file was deleted 2 revs later, so no horrible loss of data. /branches/d-i/kfreebsd is not included. I could add kfreebsd branches to all affected repos, or they could finish merging to trunk and then it wouldn't be needed. Other whole-tree tags and branches are not included. These include sarge, etch, and lenny tags and branches, and old tags like rc1, rc2, rc3. The /people directory is mostly not included. These are some exceptions; things like partman-auto-crypto, oldsys-preseed, rootskel-gtk, and apt-setup started life in /people, and that history was included in their git repos. And I pulled busybox out of /people. But branches in /people are not included, and current thinking is that People will be responsible for making equvilant branches in git for anything in /people they care about. I am not currently filtering out the da.po miscommits. Leaving them in increases the total git repo size by 5 mb. If they are removed, there are two ways to do it, that affect tags made during the problem period in different ways: 1. Keep da.po miscommits in the tags. This bloats the git repo size about the same amount, and means that those tags will not be connected to the rest of the repo history. 2. Drop the bad da.po changes from everything, including tags. That would mean that 17 tags don't match what was originally committed to svn, but would otherwise work great. -- see shy jo  Even to those present who personally preferred other systems like bzr. bzr-git is pretty good and will be getting better.  Rather than one big repository because per-package repositories are much more usual in git and because this allows tags to be handled more sanely wihout needing to worry about tag namespaces. This is certianly a tradeoff though.  Because the manual's translation system depends on svn revision numbers, and converting it to git would be really hard. Maybe later?  To avoid needing to switch all the translators to git.  This test is not very accurate because it's not connecting to alioth, and because it's using anonymous git://, not ssh. Still, here it takes about 18 seconds, compared to about 9 seconds for a full no-op svn up in the d-i tree.  I have serious doubts about submodules, but FWIW debian-perl is also investigating submodules in a similar situation.  This branch was needed due to a complex limitation of svn-all-fast-export.  But that means that I did not store the tags for countrychooser and localechooser since they would conflict with other tags in the same git repo. I'm open to putting them in the attic instead if that seems better.
Description: Digital signature