Re: grub-installer/grub2_instead_of_grub_legacy template

Am Donnerstag, den 30.07.2009, 10:17 +0200 schrieb Felix Zielcke:
> Now that squeeze probable will freeze in December, I somehow have the
> feeling it won't use grub2 by default.
> So I suggest to change the grub2 instead of grub-legacy template.
> It shouldn't say anymore that grub2 is experimental.
> Ubuntu karmic is now using it by default and there aren't any critical
> bug reports (neither on LP or debbugs).
>
> Unfortunately I'm not at all good at these things and my english isn't
> that great either.
> I think it should mention that grub2 has support for UUIDs,ext4,lvm and
> RAID and that it lacks currently password support and savedefault.
> Or maybe the last part should be left out, so the translations won't
> need to be updated if we implement it.

Ok now that Otavio agreed on IRC that it shouldn't say anymore that
grub2 itself is experimental but the d-i support for it, here's a
concrete proposal:

 GRUB 2 is the next generation of GNU GRUB. It has interesting new features
 like UUIDs, LVM, mdraid and ext4, but it lacks password and savedefault
 support. Note that the Debian-Installer support for it is still experimental.
 If you choose to install it, you should be prepared for breakage, and have an
 idea on how to recover your system if it becomes unbootable. You're advised
 not to try this in production environments.

By the way what do these `# :sl2:' comments mean? man po-debconf
doestn't document them.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer