[debian] d-i: planning and first moves

Hi there!

Now that the core freesmartphone.org packages are in Debian main (Zhone
is sitting in NEW...), my next goals are the kernel and d-i support.

While for the former we need to wait for Openmoko patches being
integrated into the mainline Linux kernel:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openmoko.kernel/9955

the latter is waiting for us, thus here my plan, based on what I wrote
in the past at:

  http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-fso-maint/2009-March/000933.html

NB, everything must be coordinated with the d-i and Emdebian people to
avoid code/work duplication.  The reference page is:

  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/OpenmokoSupport

1) build d-i image for the Openmoko GTA02

       http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Build

   + must be a business card image, i.e. as smallest as possible
   + linux-image-2.6.xx-openmoko-gta02 package from pkg-fso

       http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Modify/CustomKernel

   + boots until the graphical d-i screen appears
   + from now on this is the development image

2) move d-i into ramdisk
   + must use no more than 64MB of RAM (GTA02 has 128MB of total RAM)
   + everything on initrd?

       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-initrd.html

3) basic installation
   + configure USB network for network-installer as on NAS devices
     (e.g. QNAP TS-409U)
   + microSD partitioning (8MB /boot and the rest for /, swap later, the
     target is a 512MB microSD card)
   + base system as `cdebootstrap --flavour minimal`
   + U-Boot modifications thanks to uboot-envtools

6) new smartphone tasksel task
   + superseed standard?
   + include freesmartphone.org core packages
   + choice for the fso-config-* package

       http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-fso/files.git;a=commitdiff;h=35d535fc26bf3f0545610fac538252704ac9d113

7) port to GTA01
   + quite trivial once the kernel support is there

8) write DirectFB virtual keyboard support
   + choice between xvkbd and matchbox-keyboard based on the
     least dependencies required
   + progressive fixes for the d-i GUI

9) submit to upstream d-i

10) Emdebian integration

Now that a lot of words have been spent, I think it is time to start
hacking...

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca