MTD and UBI support in d-i

Hi!

I have been working on partman-ubi, which enables d-i to
partition MTD flash with UBI (Unsorted Block Images).

UBI is sort of similar to LVM, in the sense that MTD devices
are attached to UBI. This creates a _UBI device_, on which it
is possible to create _UBI volumes_. These UBI volumes can
then be formatted at the users discretion (with ubifs for
instance).

To examplify the procedure for working with UBI:

1) Attach a MTD to UBI (this creates an UBI device)
2) Create volume on an UBI device with name and size.

The issue I am now facing is that partman is tightly integrated
with libparted. Neither of MTD and UBI is understood by
libparted.

Questions:

Regarding the partitioning editor (partman) I wonder if the
attachment of MTD to UBI needs to be undoable (i.e. not
really performed until partitioning commit/finishing
partitioning).

Since partman is tightly connected with libparted, what is the
best way to keep track of UBI devices and volumes? I.e.
a) should partman be made to understand MTD and UBI, or
b) is it better to keep all of this outside parted (and let the
shell scripts create device and id related directories and files),
or
c) should parted_server be altered to understand and handle
MTD and UBI?

When creating a loop label, it seems parted writes this to
the device. This is not really what I want. Connecting to the
questions above, is it possible to use the infrastructure given
by partman/parted_server but without any of it being written
to device.

-- Per