Re: Kenshi Muto: i386/amd64 d-i images for Lenny, kernel version 2.6.30 + firmware

Hi tbm and d-i guys,

At 29 Jun 09 16:35:30 GMT,
Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > For those who would like to use Linux kernel 2.6.30 for installing
> > Debian Lenny, [here it is][2]. Enjoy.
>
> Very interesting.  I added support to a number of new ARM devices to
> squeeze and it would be great to provide a 2.6.30 based lenny
> installer.
>
> Can you describe what's needed to create such 2.6.30 based lenny
> images?

Currently I'm maintaining it in my personal SVN,
https://kmuto.jp/svn/d-i/lenny/.

After checkout (ex. /work/lenny),

1. create local-apt/sources.list file, for example,
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib non-free
deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free <- If you use bpo
deb copy:///work/lenny/mtu ./ <- indicate mtu directory.

2. backport parted and e2fsprogs from unstable, to support ext4. Then copy
   e2fslibs, e2fsprogs, e2fsprogs-udeb, libparted1.8-udeb, and parted-udeb
   to /work/lenny/mtu directory.

3. execute './mtu.update' at /work/lenny.

4. do 'make' at /work/lenny.

Because I haven't tried on armel (I don't have) yet, I don't make sure
it works on armel as same as i386/amd64. Maybe you need to modify ./build
and some d-i/* files.

If you'd like, I can give you an account to write.

> More generally, it seems to me that it would be great to offer such
> images on backports.org or similar.  I'm copying debian-boot in the
> hope to find out how much interest there would be in this.

I hope lenny-and-a-half will replace mine more official way ;-)

Seriously, there are some issues to think about, such as:
- - mine includes some non-free firmwares. Although it helps
  users, it won't suit our DFSG.
- - my d-i has some experimental features such as ext4 rather than focuses
  a stability.
- - If they should be removed, lenny-and-a-half scheme seems better and
  simpler to provide an new kernel.

See you at Debconf,
- --
Kenshi Muto