Re: The question about which language we use in the first is good

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:26:22PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Colin Watson<cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> > I implemented that in Ubuntu. It's not done at the level of d-i, and
> > fundamentally can't be - it's done in gfxboot, which is a set of boot
> > loader hooks developed by SuSE which attach to syslinux. (The boot
> > loader is not really part of d-i, although we do configure it.) I filed
> > a bug report for this on Debian's syslinux package some time ago, but
> > this approach doesn't have a lot of favour upstream (it's fairly
> > intrusive, and they prefer a different menu scheme) so I've more or less
> > given up hope that it will happen in Debian.
>
> It has been included in latest release so we can have a new hope for ;-)
>
> syslinux upstream case ported it to a module so it's now properly
> supported by it. :-)

Really? Gosh. That's excellent. I shall have to have a look at that!

If people would like to use gfxboot in Debian, perhaps the Ubuntu theme
could be bodged into service for Debian (you really don't want to
attempt to write one from scratch, trust me; when we say "theme" for
gfxboot we really mean "complete implementation of menu structure by
hand" - I derived ours from SuSE's and even that was a fair amount of
effort).

I'm not going to be at DebCamp for as long as I was hoping to be, for
travel-with-family reasons, but perhaps we could have a look over it at
the tail-end of DebCamp or at DebConf?