Re: Reformulation of criticisms about console-setup switch (was: Re: Review of console-setup wrt D-I [very long])

On Monday 29 June 2009, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> I have some questions:
> 1. Can console-setup-udeb expect that /proc is mounted? Is there some
> dependency about this?

/proc is guaranteed to be mounted in D-I.

> 2. Can console-setup-udeb expect that /proc/bus/usb is mounted? Is
> there some dependency about this?

For 2.6.29 and 2.6.30 you can't depend on it being mounted. See usb-kbd.c
in kbd-chooser; again the code is fairly simple (I hacked on it ages ago
so it must be as I knew even less C then than I know now).

But note that /proc/bus/usb (or rather usbfs) is going away in 2.6.31! See
#534412, it's very relevant.

> 3. If the answer of 1 or 2 is no, then what can be done?

Maybe you can just use /proc/input/devices (which _will_ be available) as
I don't think the distinction between USB and PS/2 is really relevant
anymore?

> 4. Are there architectures where kernel <=2.4 is used?  The detection
> doesn't work for such kernels.

No. 2.4 is dead for Debian. You really only need to worry about Squeeze
and that is 2.6.31+.

> 5. What about the following scenario: the system is installed without a
> keyboard, console-setup-udeb leaves the keyboard unconfigured and then
> the user attaches a keyboard.

Not our problem. If the user installs without keyboard, it's up to him to
configure userland for it. Just as he may have to install software for
other hardware that is added after the installation.

D-I's job is to install the system as we find it, which means that there
is no reason to install c-s onto a headless system.