Re: [D-I] Please test Debian Installer with console-setup

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 01:35:57PM +0200, Miroslav Kure wrote:

>  * During the instalation, we have correct font only on the first tty
>    (the installer itself). If I switch to the shell on the second
>    console, most of the accented letters are prited as boxes instead.
>    After the install, all six ttys are correctly initialized with the
>    proper font.

This is expected because the installer doesn't have setfont utility (but
if the d-i team decides to put there setfont, then no change in
console-setup is required in order to make all consoles configured).

>  * With the previous setup, when selecting Czech keyboard, it still
>    defaulted to English layout and only by pressing some magic key
>    (IIRC Scroll Lock), it switched to the Czech one.
>    Now we have Czech layout by default (this can probably be seen as
>    an improvement by most of the users), but I found no way to switch
>    back to the English layout (and eventualy back to Czech).
>    I know how to do that after the installation (by editing the XKB*
>    options in /etc/default/console-setup), but it would be nice if we
>    were able to preset these options even for the installation.

It is possible to make this, however the same setup will be used by X
too and this will be unexpected by the users.

It is possible to preseed such configuration by giving the value of
XKBLAYOUT to console-setup/layoutcode and the value of XKBVARIANT to
console-setup/variantcode.

>    some letters need to be written using so called 'dead
>    key' (for Czech it is '=' key on the English keyboards) and these
>    do not work. E.g. 'ť' does not have its own key, so we need to
>    write that as 'Shift+=' (this does not produce any character yet)
>    followed by 't' -> 'ť' should appear. Instead of the expected
>    result, two-character sequence appears:'^t'.

There is a difference between the layout in console-data and XKB.  In
the console keymap of console-data Shift+= produces dead_circumflex.  In
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/cz (and consequently in console-setup too)
Shift+= produces dead_caron.  As far as I know the Chezch alphabet
contains letters with caron so the X layout must be correct and the
console layout used circumflex instead of caron because dead_caron is
not properly supported by the kernel.  If this is so, you can fill a bug
report agains the kernel.  I hope this bug will be easy to fix - only an
addition to some table.

Anton Zinoviev