5.0.1 kernel upload, ABI change
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 04:47:35PM -0700, dann frazier wrote:
> The first lenny update is scheduled for early April, so I wanted to
> start coordinating the kernel update.
> The lenny-security branch is currently caught up on security issues,
> so I'd like to release a DSA later this week. I'd appreciate it if the
> individual arch maintainers could test builds from this branch ahead
> of time. The CVE-2009-0029 touch a lot of arch-specific code and
> though they applied pretty easily to the lenny kernel, it'd still be
> good to get some testing there. I noticed that the snapshot archive
> now has a lenny-security dist for some archs (thanks waldi)
This is now released, finally, as DSA-1749. The only regression I'm
aware of is that user-mode-linux now FTBFS. A fix for that is queued
> There are several fixes queued up for a stable upload. I have a
> few more small fixes from jmm to review/commit as well, and it looks
> like tbm has an RTC regression fix pending. I've seen mentions of
> OpenVZ fixes from Ola/maks - what is the status of those? Are there
> any other changes people are working on?
Obviously we've made a lot of progress here and have several changes
queued up. I also have a handful of changes from Moritz to review. If
you have any additional changes queued, please speak up.
> ABI changes
> The security fixes don't currently break the ABI. It sounds like the
> openvz fixes are ABI-breaking?. If it is going to be ready for this
> update and does break the ABI, I'd also like to get the hppa
> large-module fix in. And, of course, we'll need to notify the d-i team
> of this change.
Though several of the openvz changes have been committed and do not
break the ABI, there are several openvz changes pending that do. These
fix nfs support, ipv6, and some additional netfilter fixes. Maks is
currently staging these additional fixes in his tree. There are also a
couple of other non-openvz ABI changers ready, including #401439 and
I spoke with Otavio and he noted that a d-i spin is going to happen
for 5.0.1 anyway, so a kernel ABI change maybe better now than
delaying for 5.0.2.
So, I'd like to go ahead and bump the ABI and announce an upload to
p-u for this Tuesday, March 24.