Re: Serious SCSI problem on Lenny networkinstall image

Christian Perrier wrote:
(please do not CC me an answers, thanks)

Quoting letstry@home.nl (letstry@home.nl):
Hey list,

Two days ago I wrote a mail to this list to report a serious SCSI problem in Lenny networkinstall.
Subject: "Serious SCSI problem on Lenny networkinstall image"

I subscribed to the list, no reactions yet.

Is a serious SCSI problem not considered high prio?
Or am I the only one with this problem?

The activity on the list is low. The D-I team is small. All this is
part of what most of us (probably particularly me) are considering to
be important challenges we're facing as of now.

Not answering such mails is probably an illustration of that
problem...or maybe just nobody has more information to add to problems
you're facing..:)

The above was written before reading your report...

The following is written *after* reading it:

Please note that you gave basically no information in your report
except that "I have problems"..... By experience, and even when the
team was more efficient than it is right now, such reports are often
ignored.

Reports with more details about the setup, what you're using, what
problems you're facing, etc.

Then maybe someone will feel concerned enough and having the needed
information to discuss these problems with you.

Hi Christian,

Thanks for answering my mail.
But I think you're a bit too quick in your reaction, please read on.

Let me first say it's not my problem.
My machines run fine on Ubuntu 6.06 server, but I consider(ed) to switch to Debian 5.

I consider it Debian's problem, and I am willing to invest some time to help, if needed.

I think I have given enough info via mail until now:
03/08 - a link to debian user forums with a thread I started there about this issue
03/09 - with 2 x syslog of Debian 5 boot on two different machines (2 different SCSI controllers)
03/11 - the mail you react to (I guess you missed the one from 03/09 ?)
03/12 - a reaction for Otario Salvador with dmesg output and some configuration
today - after investigating some more, my conclusion that the 486 kernel has a SCSI problem for Qlogic and Adaptec
today - more investigation (kernel sources this time) with some possibilities

I'm willing to include all my mails (and the reactions) in my posts, but that would be a bit too much, wouldn't it?

Also I was hoping that SCSI problems on 2 different well known SCSI controllers would trigger something, but obviously that is not the case.

Or am I not in the right place for this?

I personally think there's a serious error in the i386 network install image (being kernel-486 based).
If so, I consider that bad for Debian's reputation, and that would be bad for the reputation of open source software, which is not what we want.

So...

Regards,

Jacco

PS The live CD is kernel-686 based, no problems there.