Re: The future of the D-I team

On Thursday 26 February 2009, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Now that the lenny release is over, I think it's time for all of us to
> gather and discuss what the D-I team currently is and what should be
> done for the lenny->squeeze release cycle (not technically speaking
> but first more on organisational issues).

After FOSDEM I've decided that I'm not going to continue spending the
insane amounts of time on D-I that I have been doing the past few years.
In fact, at the moment I'm not going to commit to doing anything.

Reason is of course the frustration about the repeated problems with
(stable) D-I releases during the past release cycle. I've always spent a
huge amount of effort trying to get releases as perfect as possible and
having that work undone at the last minute because of the carelessness of
others has been extremely frustrating, especially as in most cases the
problems were easily avoidable by better collaboration.

My motivation has always been in delivering a quality product to users.
When I feel no longer able to do that, I'm no longer having fun. I have
regularly spent 40+ hour weeks on D-I, debian-cd and related issues like
the manual and website (somewhat less for Lenny), but it's still all my
free time and without fun I don't see any reason to continue.

See also my mail earlier today [1].

On Sunday 01 March 2009, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Sorry for sounding so pessimistic about the state of the D-I team,

While sounding pessimistic is not fun, ignoring the fact that there are
problems is not good either. The current state of D-I development really
is worrysome. You only have to look at the daily build page [2] to see
that. We currently only have 4 arches building reliably (i386, armel,
sparc and s390). The rest have been absent or failing for some weeks or
months. The only arches for which there is any real excuse for this are
mips and mipsel.

Fact is that we currently have no one doing the basic, general, daily,
often boring work on D-I that is needed to keep things in a decent shape.

Sorry,
FJP

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2009/03/msg00007.html
[2] http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/build-logs.html