Re: r57544 - in trunk/packages/cdebconf: debian src/modules/frontend/newt

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 08:31:47PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 01:28:33PM +0100, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 04:44:53PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > Export a new cdebconf_newt_get_progress_info function so that
> > > cdebconf-newt-terminal can reinitialise progress bars (since there's no
> > > progress_info member in struct frontend, and it won't fit in the obvious
> > > place without breaking the plugin ABI).
> >
> > Is changing the plugin ABI a real issue so early in the new release
> > cycle?
>
> I don't like doing it, especially as we don't have a mechanism to notify
> about breakage at the packaging level (SONAME or Provides:
> cdebconf-plugin-abi-1 or whatever).

Actually, if the ingenious mind of yours comes up with something
sensible to solve this issue, don't hesitate to go forward.  This has
scratched me numerous times already.

> […]
> I haven't yet thought of any case where anything other than newt would
> need this. If we do think of one, then we can always just say that we
> postponed an ABI change until that point, and do it then; nothing lost.

Well said.  Thanks for your explainations.  :)

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism