Re: Sparc d-i terminal weirdness?

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> On Thursday 16 October 2008, Mike Grice wrote:
>> > Does the current daily built image for sparc have the same problem?
>>
>> I couldn't find this until just now (I think the link was a 404 for a
>> while), but having just tried this now, I *do* get the same problem
>> with the daily image.
>
> I'm fairly sure that nothing has changed in the installer recently, so
> either your system or keyboard has never been supported or, if earlier
> versions of the installer did work, there is a regression in the kernel.

Hi, sorry about the delay, I've been on holiday...

> Does the Etch version of the installer work?

No.  I'm actually doing a netboot into a SUN LDOM.  This shouldn't be
any different from a normal SPARC install, except that the disk and
net are accessed through new modules.  The reason I was rolling my own
d-i is because the base lenny installer (the rc) does not have these
two modules, sunvnet and sunvdc, installed.  The rc netboot image does
work as expected, up until the point it (correctly) can't find the
network card.

> As the keyboard does still work in the first debug shell, you could try
> running through the installer's initialization scripts manually to see
> where it stops working.

This is weird.  I have booted with BOOT_DEBUG before, but I didn't
think to run the scripts manually.  Strangely, if I run them manually,
it works (although the display looks a bit corrupted (like its not
redrawn properly, but fine enough to use by hand)).

> Does the keyboard still work in the second debug shell (i.e. after udev
> has been started)?

Yes, this has always been the case.

So, my difference is:

 - the lenny rc works but has missing drivers (im prepared to roll my
own to get around this until debian include them by default)
 - the daily (and rolling my own) don't seem to work (with the console
badness) unless I step through manually?

Would love to hear your thoughts...

Mike