Re: Setting FSCKFIX=yes on certain machines

* Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> [080814 10:52]:
> We have to set FSCKFIX=yes in /etc/default/rcS on machines that don't
> have any I/O devices to follow the boot process, otherwise fsck might
> prompt the user to press a key and this is not possible.
>
> This is mostly needed on NAS devices.  They all have ttyS0 which means
> that we cannot modify /etc/default/rcS automatically if there's no
> ttySx.  Instead we have to hard code the specific devices we're aware
> of that might have ttyS0 (or another output devices) but where users
> typically don't have a serial console hooked up.

Why not make this the default for all machines? I think the people that
can make a informed answer to the questions asked by fsck are a very
little minority nowadays.
FSCKFIX=no also (at least on etch, not tested on lenny) also has the
disadvantage of stopping the boot and needing the root password to
continue. And when the person with root password arrives, there is
usually little that can be done but just answering everything
with yes (or running fsck -y).

Does anyone know a reason why this should default to no and not be
changed to yes (still allowing people that do not like it to set it
back to no)?

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link