Re: d-i support for running in a Xen guest domain

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 09:58:45PM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
<snipp d-i side>
> I'd like to propose enabling Xen guest support in all the native i?86
> kernel images (and eventually amd64 too), or at least in the -686-bigmem
> kernel. Since paravirt ops is already enabled in all kernels (for KVM
> and lguest) there is only minimal additional overhead to enabling Xen.
>
> As a nice bonus this would also allow the separate -xen flavour kernels
> to be removed/deprecated which seems like a good thing in the
> paravirt_ops based world.

this sounds like a good plan, getting rid of the number of images
is always a welcome bonus.

i know that fedora also is very keen to move to the paravirt_ops world.
for Etch linux-2.6 had dom0 images, when will those be merged,
where are the patches based on paravirt ops against 2.6.24?
we wouldn't want to release Lenny without the support we had given
in Etch (which turned out to be *very* buggy, but that is another
story) of a dom0 linux-2.6 linux-image variant.

> Given a suitable kernel it would then be possible to add a -bigmem
> flavour of d-i. That would give us installer images which support
> native, Xen, KVM and lguest via paravirt_ops both PAE and non-PAE
> allowing Debian to be installed as a guest on a wide variety of domain0
> distributions.

linux-2.6 already builds the -bigmem flavour and afaik it is instelled
by d-i later but not used on boot.

> So, what do the kernel folks think about enabling Xen guest support in
> all kernels where it is available and getting rid of the -xen specific
> variants? I've got a massive (mainly due to lots of deletion) patch
> against SVN which does just that, if there is interest I'll work out the
> kinks and file it as a wishlist bug.

2.6.24 is right now open for such changes,
thanks for your already filed and fixed virtualization i386 bug report,
had gone unnoticed for a while as focus slipps to amd64.

happy hacking

--
maks