Re: [RFC] Stripping Latin range in fonts used by g-i installer?

"Eddy Petrișor" <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com> writes:

> (Frans, sorry for the direct reply;I am still using gmail's web interface).
>
> On 09/01/2008, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 09 January 2008, Eddy Petrișor wrote:
>> > Why not do an automatic strip of the font and only *keep* the
>> > codepoints that are used, based on the existing translations? I know
>> > this could be too drastic and we run into the risk of loosing glyphs
>> > if we are not doing this properly, but with Davide's graphic
>> > comparison scripts we could detect such situations.
>>
>> This would then have to be a strip at D-I build time instead of font udeb
>> build time, otherwise you'd have serious synchronization problems.
>
> That's what the mask trick was supposed to cover. And would allow the
> stripping to be done when building the font.

Using a mask for it means that, depending of translation / templates
changes we'd need to update it and rebuild all used fonts udeb against
this.

If we're going to take this idea, the place for it is on d-i building
process, not font udeb. That way we avoid this hassle.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116