Re: [RFC] Stripping Latin range in fonts used by g-i installer?

On Wednesday 09 January 2008, Eddy Petrișor wrote:
> > Also, this is a completely separate issue from what we were discussing
> > as it would _still_ result in duplication of latin characters.
>
> No, since the range in question wouldn't be pulled in by anything (the
> codepoints would belong to the language or the unicode range that
> obviously belongs to the language using the font).
>
> For instance for the Amharic language, the font would end up having
> only the glyphs for the codepoints which are used in the translation
> and all the Ethiopian unicode points. Anything else falls out of the
> font.

But most translations, even in other scripts, still use quite a lot of latin
glyphs.

You are also forgetting that quite a few strings with latin glyphs are
generated *at run time* (e.g. udeb names and descriptions in anna; file
systems and mount points; names of LVM volumes; time zones; ...) and you
really do not want the situation where some latin glyphs are taken from the
font from Amharic and some other latin glyphs are taken from DejaVu or
FreeSans.