Re: problem restarting services ...

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:13:50AM -0500, Roberto Alejandro Espi Muñoz wrote:
> Hi,  I debootstrapped a new Debian system onto a hdd drive.  I later
> started my pc with the new installed system.  I noticed that many
> services are not installed by default.  I installed the sudo ( which
> is by default installed on the Debian installation ) and apache2 which
> is not.  These 2 services can't be restarted with the traditional
> /etc/init.d/apache2 or sudo restart.

sudo is not a daemon ("service"); there is nothing to restart. It's just
a command.

/etc/init.d/apache2 definitely exists, in the apache2.2-common package
(which apache2 indirectly depends on). You need to describe exactly what
the problem is: does /etc/init.d/apache2 not exist, or does it fail with
some error message, or does it silently fail to restart the service (how
did you determine this?), etc.

Finally, this question would probably be better off on the debian-user
mailing list; your problem seems to be about how to use individual
packages, rather than being an installation problem as such.

Cheers,