'expert' is a fancy name for "detailed mode"

Op 31-12-2007 om 16:55 schreef Manfred Rebentisch:
> I did use the expert mode, because the previous install with "install" was
> failed (does not show many installer pages, does not install most software,
> only minimal system).

Debian-Installer uses the program "debconf" for user interaction.
Debconf has priority levels. High priority questions are allways asked.
Low priority questions don't need to be asked, because (usually is) the
default answer is fine.

Starting d-i in the so called expert mode changes debconf priority so
that also the low priority questions are asked. It allows to change the
default anwers, but mostly will "the expert" just hit 'enter' to confirm
the default.

That explains why some questionscreen are not shown during normal
install (simply because there is no reason to show them).

The statement "normal install does not install most software,
only minimal system" is not true, at least incomplete.
It is up to the person doing the install to mark the checkbox 'desktop'
to get graphical user interface software installed.
(Note: I _only guessed_ that GUI software is missing,
because there is nowhere told what is actual missing)

Cheers
Geert Stappers.