Re: Revisiting partman-nbd

On Monday 29 December 2008, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> > Unable to determine geometry of file/device /dev/nbd0. You should not
> > use Parted unless you REALLY know what you're doing!
>
> This message comme straight from libparted.  From a quick look at
> parted sources, it looks like it has no understanding of NBD right now.
> As these devices seem special enough, I think it could be worthwhile to
> add the necessary bits there instead of adding work arounds in partman.

I had the same thought when reading the message. It sounds to me that this
should be fixed in libparted, not worked around in partman.

The reason init.d/30parted already skips some classes of devices is rather
different from what you are seeing. Basically it is because we don't want
such devices to be visible at all, not because we need to do some dirty
manipulation to get them working.