Re: Please help solve #504721

Hi,

Jurij Smakov wrote:
> Bcc: debian-devel
>
> Hi,
>
> We have recently recognized that serial console detection in the
> installer is not working as expected, which resulted in RC bug
> http://bugs.debian.org/504721. If you have access to a machine through
> serial console, please provide debugging information which can help
> with resolving this bug.

I've a PC with no keyborad nor screen attached (I can add them when/if
I really need them). But I've a terminal (french 'minitel') connected
to a serial port.
I booted it yesterday with the current lenny kernel.

> The following information would be very useful:
>
> 1. Basic information about the serial console setup (whether
> machine is completely headless, etc.) and contents of
> /proc/cmdline.

vdanjean@kooot:~$ cat /proc/cmdline
root=/dev/hda1 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,4800 ro resume=/dev/hda2

> 2. Output of 'grep -i console /var/log/dmesg' (or 'dmesg | grep -i
> console' if you booted recently and boot messages have not been purged
> from dmesg buffer yet).

vdanjean@kooot:~$ grep -i console /var/log/dmesg
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda1 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,4800 ro resume=/dev/hda2
[    0.004000] Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
[    0.004000] console [tty0] enabled
[    0.004000] console [ttyS0] enabled

> 3. If you have a chance of booting the installer on the machine,
> output of 'dmesg | grep -i console' from the installer shell both
> without and with the 'console=<your_serial_console_device>'
> (for example, 'console=ttyS0') specified on the command line. Does
> adding the option result in any changed in installer appearance?

I did not try the debian installer. Let me know if you want I try
with my setup. But I'm currently unable to see grub prompt on the
serial console : I did not needed it so I did not try to make it
works at all. So I'm not sure at all I can boot the debian-installer
for now (I do not have screen anymore).

  Regards,
    Vincent

PS: I'm not subscribed to debian-boot nor 504721.

--
Vincent Danjean                 Adresse: Laboratoire d'Informatique de Grenoble
Téléphone:  +33 4 76 61 20 11            ENSIMAG - antenne de Montbonnot