unable to install to Sata drive on Promise TX4 controller. latest installer wont recognize it

Hi,
I am an experienced debian installer, user.
I have installed debian about 30-40 times on various machines.
I have been trying the last 2 days to   install on a
sata drive on a machine with a Promise Sata Tx4 4 channel controller controller as well
as an old adaptec ata   raid 2400a.

Till now for simplicity I have installed on PATA IDE drives for system and used sata for storage.

I want to  install debian to a seagate 750G sata drive,
but both the debian 4.0r5 etch installer
and also the latest nightly build of the lenny installer from
don't recognize my hard drive, they only see the data drive, in this case the adaptec ata raid 2400a.

I checked, and the BIOS certainly recognizes the drive, and the bios from both the Promise Tx4 and
Adaptec 2400a post on the  screen.

I want to avoid having to install on a pata drive and mirror the install to the sata drive.

I know that the SATA TX4 is debian compatible ( I use it on about 10 machines just not for the system boot, just as data).
I think that the installer does not have the proper kernel module.

I like the TX4 controller card, it is very versatile and  relatively cheap.

Thanks,

Mitchell Laks