vesa framebuffer

Hi all,
i'm new here and i'm learning about debian-installer.
At this time there's one behavior i still did not figure out.

I did this couple of tests:

1) make build_hd-media_gtk
2) make build_netboot_gtk

With the first i'm not able to enable the VESA framebuffer. I tried in
different ways but i couldn't achieve it.
I tested it both with
qemu -kernel linux -append video="vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788" -initrd
initrd.gz /dev/zero
and with grub on a usb stick.
With the second, since it creates the iso (but afaik this shouldn't
influence the result) i can successfully enable the VESA framebuffer
and see the GTK+ installer.
Otherwise, doing it manually with qemu do not works.
I still get the same error as the /proc/fb is not exported by the
kernel.

Could anybody tell to me what i'm missing?
I'm using the etch version of debian-installer

Regards
Salvatore