Proposal of Debian Installer Errata updates
Here goes my first proposed diff against current errata. Please
check if I've skiped anything that you can test and check if it works
now or if you know it has been fixed already.
RCS file: /cvs/webwml/webwml/english/devel/debian-installer/errata.wml,v
retrieving revision 1.118
diff -u -r1.118 errata.wml
--- errata.wml 25 Jun 2008 18:24:01 -0000 1.118
+++ errata.wml 7 Nov 2008 21:26:07 -0000
@@ -22,35 +22,6 @@
Note however that this problem may occur again on subsequent boots.
- <dt><q>uninitialized value</q> warnings from Perl during installation</dt>
- As a result of a recent switch to Perl 5.10, the installation logs
- will show some Perl warnings. As far as we know these are harmless
- and can be ignored. A solution for this issue
- (<a href="http://bugs.debian.org/480533">#480533</a>) is being worked on.
- <dt>aptitude errors during installs in Russian</dt>
- This issue will result in a failed installation. We have only seen
- reports for Russian, but some other languages may be affected too.
- The issue (<a href="http://bugs.debian.org/473559">#473559</a>) is
- expected to be fixed shortly after the release for daily and weekly
- built installer and CD/DVD images.<br />
- In case you do hit this issue, the installation can be completed by
- using the following workaround:
- <li>switch to a debug console on VT2</li>
- <li>run the command:<br />
- <tt>rm /target/usr/share/locale/<lang>/LC_MESSAGES/*apt*</tt><br />
- (replace <q><tt><lang></tt></q> by your language code,
- e.g. <q><tt>ru</tt></q>)</li>
- <li>switch back to the installer menu on VT1</li>
- <li>continue the installation by retrying the selected
- installation step</li>
<dt>Buggy routers may cause network problems</dt>
If you experience network problems during the installation, this may be
@@ -69,26 +40,11 @@
<tt>echo 4096 65536 65536 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_wmem</tt>
- <dt>General issues after reboot because of UTF-8 default</dt>
- The installed system is now set to UTF-8 by default. However, not all
- applications properly support UTF-8 yet, which may result in minor or
- major problems when using them.<br />
- Please check if such problems have been reported yet and, if not, file
- a bug report against the relevant package (not the installer).
The graphical installer still has some known issues (see also the
- <li>some non-US keymaps are not fully supported (deadkeys and
- combining characters do not work)</li>
- <li>keys for accented or special characters may not work correctly;
- this is a regression compared to previous releases which will
- hopefully be fixed again soon
- (<a href="http://bugs.debian.org/482335">#482335</a>)</li>
<li>touchpads should work, but support may not be optimal; if you
experience problems, you should use an external mouse instead</li>
<li>should work on almost all PowerPC systems that have an ATI
@@ -115,31 +71,6 @@
switches to the next kernel version.
- <dt>i386/amd64: GRUB installation on cpqarray RAID volumes may fail</dt>
- Affected are systems that have <tt>/dev/ida/cXdX</tt> devices.
- This issue (<a href="http://bugs.debian.org/466600">#466600</a>) is
- expected to be fixed soon after the release for daily and weekly built
- installer and CD/DVD images when a fixed version of GRUB reaches testing.
- <dt>i386/amd64: Reboot may fail with loop-aes encrypted root file system</dt>
- This can be due to a problem in GRUB which results in an incorrect
- <tt>root=</tt> parameter being set in <tt>/etc/grub/menu.lst</tt>.
- See <a href="http://bugs.debian.org/486360">#486360</a> for details
- and workaround.
- <dt>arm: NSLU2 image won't start</dt>
- The NSLU2 installer images from debian.org will not boot. However,
- this problem is not present in the unofficial images from
- <tt>slug-firmware.net</tt>. These images also include the
- proprietary microcode needed for Ethernet to work, so please
- use the images from <tt>slug-firmware.net</tt>.
<dt>powerpc: various issues</dt>
The PowerPC port has several issues in this release:
O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
E-mail: email@example.com UIN: 5906116
GNU/Linux User: 239058 GPG ID: 49A5F855
Home Page: http://otavio.ossystems.com.br
"Microsoft sells you Windows ... Linux gives
you the whole house."