Re: Quest to build this custom install CD for dmraid (RAID5) on AMD64

Quoting Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl>:

On Thursday 30 October 2008, Mark Bishop wrote:
I do not have it installed.  The host computer is stable (etch) but
the target computer would be testing (lenny).  But I downloaded the
linux kernel source Debian package and recompiled it.

Why not install it anyway and then remove it? Unless you have not compiled
it as a Debian package with the correct naming.

I could do that.  I was afraid to break something on my stable machine.

> 2) If you do, try deleting debian/control.
>
> The version/flavor used in the file kernel-versions must match the
> kernel you have installed (for amd64 currently 2.6.26-1-amd64).

Is there a way to use a kernel that has been compiled but not
installed?

Yes, there is, but I'd prefer not to do the quite long explanation needed
for that if it can be avoided. And I'd still need to know exactly how you
compiled your kernel: do you have a kernel-image package that follows the
Debian naming convention, or did you just run make in the source tree?

"make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image" is the command I used.

Cheers,
FJP

P.S. Please let us know if you're subscribed to the list so we can drop
the CCs. No need to CC me on replies.

And I am subscribed. Apparently my mailer munged the headers. Sorry for the duplicate emails.