Re: lenny regression initrd/lvm/ rootfs detection timeout

maximilian attems <max@stro.at> writes:

>>> no it was just luck that it didn't hit you previously.
>>> kernel gives no guarantee on timing.
>>
>> This renders the argument with "rootdelay=" moot - When the kernel gives
>> no guarantee on timing ANY rootdelay works just by luck. So coming back
>> to this issue i consider this still a bug - When a block device comes
>> available the lvm code needs to scan it in case the rootfs is an lvm.
>>
>> The whole issue with finding the rootfs in the initrd needs to be
>> triggered and not waited for base on the statement of yours.
>
> too late for such changements and no that is not the solution either.

Care to elaborate why not?  The principle surely sounds better:
instead of fragile arbitrary delays, wait until the event we're
interested in happens.  Actually, I always dreamed of a system where
every dependency is encoded as udev rules, and the boot process only
has to wait for the root device to appear.  And I'm stuck now with a
problem even rootdelay can't help: local-top/iscsi finishes before
/dev/sda appears, so local-top/lvm has nothing to activate.  And
there's no rootdelay in between...
--
Thanks,
Feri.