Re: Embedded Lenny Install on PowerPC

On Friday 26 September 2008, Jason Hanna wrote:
> 'No kernel modules were found. This is probably due to a mismatch
> between the kernel used by this version of the installer and the
> kernel version available in the archive'

This is really very simple.

The 'uname -r' of the running D-I kernel must match the package name of
module udebs, which is in general *-modules-$(uname -r)-di. And of course
they must be ABI compatible.

Note that the actual comparison is with a field in the control file of the
udebs and not the package name. For example:
$ dpkg -e sata-modules-2.6.26-1-amd64-di_1.46_amd64.udeb
 Package: sata-modules-2.6.26-1-amd64-di
 Source: linux-kernel-di-amd64-2.6
 Version: 1.46
 Kernel-Version: 2.6.26-1-amd64
 Architecture: amd64
 [...]

But of course that field will match the package name.

The disadvantage of using a netboot image is that normally it will need to
download modules from a mirror. You may be better of just including all
modules you need in the initrd or compiling them into the kernel (if size
limits allow). If you do that you can just ignore the error.

Cheers,
FJP