Re: How to update lowmem requirements?

On Sunday 24 August 2008, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> But it is unclear how to determine the "max memory footprint".

We do not actually determine the "max memory footprint".

Basically you just run an installation, either in an emulator with
available memory set there or by booting the kernel with 'mem=...', and
if it does not crash before you get to base system installation, the
installer is OK for that amount of memory at the lowmem level you're
testing.

You'll need to boot with boot_debug=3 and modify lowmem tests to allow you
to test at "lower than currently allowed limits".

There are of course a number of caveats:
- as they have different memory usage this should ideally be tested for
  both netboot and businesscard images (businesscard CD will use slightly
  more memory before partitioning than netinst because of mirror
  selection); not sure what I used for my last updates, probably only
  mini.iso
- the current limit for G-I (not in lowmem but in rootskel) have been
  chosen fairly conservatively

Given that I updated the lowmem values fairly recently, I would not bother
about this now. _Unless_ you can make D-I crash at the current levels.

Cheers,
FJP